ORGANIZATION: Palmer Chiropractic College Special Services
1000 Brady St.,
Davenport, IA 52803
CONTACT PERSON(S): Rosemary Riess
TYPE OF ORGANIZATION: Archive, Library, Non-profit organization
RESTRICTIONS ON USE/ACCESS: Non-circulating materials, must be used in-house only. In certain cases, access to materials will be restricted to conditions specified by the originating office, organization, or individual. The originating office or donor will always have access to donated records whenever Special Services is open.
Special Services is working on making digitized versions of its collection materials. We are concentrating on Palmer produced materials such as the Yearbooks and major early journals, i.e. The Chiropractor. We are also focused on digitizing photographs, and other rare and unique chiropractic materials.
DID YOU KNOW?
We are known as the “Fountainhead” as we are the place where chiropractic was invented.
We have the largest chiropractic collection in the world.
Birthplace of WOC Radio, where at one point we had giant 500 watt transmitters on top of Brady St. Hill!
The Palmer family had a menagerie of exotic animals at one point, including alligators in the basement!
Special Services is comprised of three units: Special Collections, Palmer College Archives and the Digital Center. Special Services preserves and makes accessible materials detailing the history of Palmer College of Chiropractic, the wider chiropractic profession and related health care fields.
The Special Services Department is located on the first floor of the David D. Palmer Health Sciences Library, Davenport Campus.
Our resources include:
Over 12,500 volumes of printed matter and 4,000 linear feet of archival records.
Palmer publications: Green Books, The Fountain-Head News, The Chiropractor, Yearbooks and The Beacon (student newspaper).
Manuscript papers of Palmer Family and other key chiropractors.
Inactive departmental records from Palmer College Offices.
Audiovisual material such as film recordings, reel-to-reel and DVDs.
Palmer Green Books:
The Green Books are considered the "Holy Grail" of chiropractic and are aptly named because of their distinctive dark green binding. The Green Books were the first chiropractic textbooks created by D.D. Palmer in 1906, and continued with B.J. Palmer and his faculty until 1963.
B.J. Palmer purchased the WOC (World of Chiropractic) radio station in March 1922, and it became part of the Palmer School campus. WOC is best known as being the first commercially licensed radio station west of the Mississippi and for its famous employee, Ronald Reagan, hired in 1932 as a sports announcer. The Palmers owned the WOC broadcasting station for over 70 years.
D.D. Palmer developed the theory that the misalignment of the spine was an underlying cause of all "dis-ease". He developed a new discipline called Chiropractic and opened the Palmer School of Chiropractic in Davenport, Iowa, in order to teach his Chiropractic techniques to others.
B.J. Palmer, took over the school in 1906. B.J. was known as the developer because he was a very charismatic man, a wonderful salesman and skillful orator and helped spread chiropractic worldwide through his outreach. He was constantly battling with the legal and legislative obstacles to the licensing of chiropractors and the financial challenges of a growing chiropractic school.
B.J. and Mabel Palmer’s son, David Palmer was known as the Educator. David Palmer took over the school in 1961 after his father's death. He worked hard to modernize the school, renovating the classrooms and his groundwork enabled him to get the school accredited after his death in 1978.
Mabel Heath Palmer, D.C., Ph.C., an anatomist and foremost woman chiropractor is much heralded in the chiropractic field. Mabel founded the oldest chiropractic organization in the world, the Sigma Phi Chi Sorority, and authored the first chiropractic anatomy textbook, Anatomy (1918). She passed away in 1949.